October Write Bites

 Welcome to October 2022 Write Bites! This month we have Roger Brookfield with “A Monument to Unparalleled Success” and Jean Clampi with “Paybacks”. Enjoy and thank you for reading this month’s Write Bites!

_________________________________________________


A Monument to Unparalleled Success

 

By

 

 

Roger Brookfield

 

 

 

 

CHARACTERS

 

DENISE: a saleslady of monuments to unparalleled success

 

ALICE:  appears as if she can afford a monument to unparalleled success

 

HENRY:  appears as if he, too, can afford a monument to unparalleled   

                    success

 

 

SETTING

A table in a real estate office on the site of a house that is a monument to unparalleled success.

 

 

 

(DENISE and ALICE are at a table.DENISE is unfolding a sales brochure.)

 

ALICE

Where’d my husband wander off to?  I wanted him to see this--

 

DENISE

Never mind. Here, I want you to look over this magnificent--

 

ALICE

Oh myyy . . . It’s—it’s--

 

DENISE

Magnificent. Isn’t it?  A house that’s a monument to unparalleled success!  90,000 square feet—that’s a football field long by a football field wide. 23 bathrooms, 13 bedrooms, 10 kitchens, 3 pools, a 20-car garage, a video arcade and more.  And all. . . for just $75 million.

 

(HENRY enters.)

 

HENRY

Come on.  There’s nothing there.

 

ALICE

What are you talking--

 

HENRY

No walls, no rooms, no nothin’just the facade you see from right hereNo, wait. put in a bathroomup there—Hey, I had to go.  Come on.

 

            ​(As HENRY and ALICE are leaving. . .)

 

DENISE

Well I didn’t say it was finished!  

 

BLACKOUT


_______________________________________


PAYBACKS

_________________


by Jean Ciampi


 LIGHTS UP


KELLY 

I did love him. At least I wanted to love him.


DEBRA

What did you expect? You took him in off the street! You knew nothing about him.


KELLY

I thought he needed me. I thought he was cute. I know, I was stupid. But, I thought it’d be different, that we’d cuddle and snuggle and it’d be all sweet. That’s what I thought. 


DEBRA

You thought wrong.


KELLY

I didn’t think I’d get attacked! Or stalked or hurt! Look at these scars. I live in fear of when he’ll come after me next. I lie to my family and friends about what’s happening. Look at me, I’m the victim of domestic violence!


DEBRA

Why don’t you find a shelter.


KELLY 

Do you mean a women’s shelter or the SPCA?


DEBRA

He’s a cat. Re-home him.


KELLY

To someone else’s home? Are you kidding? He was on the streets for a reason. He probably killed his last family and buried them in his litter box. 


DEBRA

What are you going to do?


KELLY

What I should have done the very first day. I’m getting him neutered.


DEBRA

When you said you were cutting things off with him, I guess you meant it. Paybacks are hell, baby.


CURTAIN


____________________________________________

 

Thank you for reading this month’s edition of Write Bites! Come back next month for more works from talented writers!

_________________________________________________

Comments