I am Human

I am Human

   Welcome to this month's special edition: I am Human! This article seeks to promote works about and by the LGBTQ+ community. This collection features Mikki Gillette with "Intimate Matters" and Dana Hall with "Unprovoked". Enjoy these unfiltered voices of truth this Pride Month.
___________________________________________________________________________________

   Mikki Gillette is a trans woman playwright living in Portland, OR. Her new play American Girl about transgender teen Nikki Kuhnhausen, who was murdered in a hate crime in 2019, was developed and workshopped at Artist’s Rep Theatre. Mikki is part of Profile Theatre’s 2021 LGBTQIA+ Community Profile Cohort. Her full length shows The Queers, They, Them, Their, Mimetic Desire and No More Candy depict the trans experience in all its juicy, dramatic richness, and have enjoyed readings at the Portland Playhouse, defunkt theatre, the Funhouse Lounge, Post5 Theatre and the Shoebox, among other venues. Her work has been featured multiple times at the OUTwright Festival. Learn more at: mikkigillette.com.


Intimate Matters 

By Mikki Gillette

CHARACTERS 

JENNA – 25, a trans woman; she’s attractive and confident, with a wry sense of humor, and  a weariness born from some hard experiences 

NIALL – 25, a cis man; open, guileless and easily embarrassed, he’s prone to making faux pas, and attempting to smooth them over 

SETTING 

A restaurant in a U.S. city. The romantic ambiance at time clashes with the tone of the pair’s talk. 

TIME 

Present day.

A Restaurant. NIALL and JENNA sit at a table. 

NIALL 
I enjoyed meeting you at the party. Thanks for coming 
out tonight.  

JENNA 
Of course. I’m glad / you asked 

NIALL 
Oh, when I said “coming out,” I didn’t mean, like,  
because you’re transgender. I / just meant here 

JENNA 
Right.  

NIALL 
Sorry . . . I don’t mean to be weird about, you know 
. . . I think it’s great, personally. 

JENNA 
Um, thanks? . . . Have you eaten here before? The 
menu looks good. 

NIALL 
Yes . . . I hope that 
wasn’t awkward just now, when 
I said I / think it’s great 

JENNA 
(becoming annoyed) 
It was . . . fine.  

NIALL 
Oh, good.  

JENNA 
How do you Vince and Aubrey?  

NIALL 
Aubrey and I went to school together. How about you? 

JENNA 
I met Vince through work. I was glad he invited me. 
They’re good party hosts. 

NIALL 
Definitely. When Aubrey invites me, I’m there . . .  
So, J.K. Rowling – what the fuck, huh?

JENNA 
I’m sorry? 

NIALL 
You know, with the / anti-trans stuff 

JENNA 
Are you bringing up J.K. Rowling because I’m trans and it’s the first thing you think of when, like, you  look at me, or something? 

NIALL 
Oh, I mean, um . . . maybe. That’s bad, isn’t it? 

JENNA 
It’s kind of weird. I guess it’s good that you didn’t ask  me about surgeries before our appetizers came, though. 

NIALL 
Haha, right. Totally. 
JENNA 
You weren’t just about to ask me about surgeries, / were you 

NIALL 
No . . . I mean, um – honestly, yes, I / was 

JENNA 
Wow.  

NIALL 
I was sort of . . . working my way toward – I  should just stop / talking 

JENNA 
Jesus . . . Vince mentioned / you were kind of awkward 

NIALL 
In my defense, you and I are on a date, so . . .  

JENNA 
So . . . what, exactly? You thought, “Why not / bring up 

NIALL 
No. I, you know, thought we might . . . at some point, maybe, become “intimate,” and . . . 

JENNA 
You didn’t think I would have shared . . . some things, 
before that happened? 

NIALL 
(embarrassed, flustered) 
Oh, was I supposed to wait?  

JENNA 
I don’t know. There’s not, like, an authoritative 
etiquette guide on the matter. I think you’re always 
on safe ground not asking people about their / genitals 

NIALL 
Right, sorry . . . We are on a date, though . . .  

JENNA 
Yes, I believe you / mentioned that 

NIALL 
Right.  

Pause. 

JENNA 
I feel like you’re just sitting there obsessing on my 
groin now. 

NIALL 
I don’t mean / to, it’s  

JENNA 
What if I spent our whole dinner speculating 
indirectly about the size of your penis? 

NIALL 
Oh . . . I guess I’d feel a little self-conscious. 

JENNA 
I’m not / surprised 

NIALL 
Did you want to know the size of / my penis 

JENNA 
No! It was a hypothetical / question

NIALL 
Right. Sorry.  

JENNA 
It would be nice to just get to know you a little as 
people before, you know, discussing “those things.” 

NIALL 
Oh, okay.  

JENNA 
What were you like in high school, for instance? 

NIALL 
Me? I was kind of quiet.  

JENNA 
Aww. Were you a daydreamer? 

NIALL 
(suddenly) 
Were you a boy in high school? Oh my / gosh 

JENNA 
What?! 

NIALL 
Sorry. It just occurred to / me that  
Jenna gathers her things, upset. 

JENNA 
I can’t do this.  

NIALL 
No, wait. Please. I promise I wasn’t trying to  
upset you. 

JENNA 
You asked what gender I was in high school, but  
you “weren’t trying to / upset me” 

NIALL 
No, I wasn’t . . . I was just curious, I swear. 

JENNA 
Okay . . . but it did upset me, do you understand 
that?

NIALL 
Oh. I’m sorry. Do you want to say / why it  

JENNA 
I’m a woman. I don’t want to be asked about when 
I was forced to act like / I was a boy 

NIALL 
That makes sense. Sorry . . . will you stay? On our 
date, I mean? 

JENNA 
(sighs, wary) 
                                     I guess. 

NIALL 
Thanks . . . in high school I was mainly quiet 
because my mom died and when I tried to talk  
about it, people got annoyed.  

JENNA 
Oh, I’m sorry. That sounds hard. 

NIALL 
Thanks. I saw a counselor, which helped, and by  
college things were better. 

JENNA 
That’s good. I like counseling.  

NIALL 
Oh, did you see a counselor – oops.  

Niall covers his mouth spontaneously. Jenna appears confused and stunned, then laughs. 

NIALL 
Sorry about that. I, um . . . never mind. 

JENNA 
You were going to ask if / I saw a  

NIALL 
I stopped myself, though. I realized / it might 

JENNA 
I feel like an asshole now. 

NIALL 
No. You shouldn’t. 

JENNA 
I’m some first date fascist, who’s taught you to  censor / yourself 

NIALL 
No, it’s good. I don’t want to be rude / to you 

JENNA 
I did see a counselor in order to get a letter for my hormones. 

NIALL 
Right . . . I thought that might have been the case. You didn’t need to say that if you didn’t / want to, though 

JENNA 
Fuck. This is the most awkward evening, isn’t it? 

NIALL 
No . . . it’s, um, we’re getting to know each / other 

JENNA 
Besides the topic I’ve said I don’t really want to talk about, are there other questions / you had  

NIALL 
No . . . I was wondering when you thought you might be open to / sharing about  

JENNA 
Seriously?  

NIALL 
Just because, you know, it seems like we’re getting along so far, so . . .  

JENNA 
Your optimism is bordering on the delusional.  

NIALL 
Huh? . . . I mean, I shared about my mom, / and 

JENNA 
Sorry, I shouldn’t have said that. 

NIALL 
It’s okay.  

JENNA 
(with difficulty) 
I transitioned in freshman year, and even though I was a girl for almost all of high school, no guy would date me, because they were afraid it would “make them gay.”  

NIALL 
Oh, sorry. That’s awful. 

JENNA 
Why would a guy liking a girl be “gay,” you know? 

NIALL 
It isn’t. They were just stupid. 

JENNA 
(upset) 
And it’s not “stupid” that you’re fixated on the status of my genitals now? 

NIALL 
Oh, um . . . it’s a little different, I think? 

JENNA 
In what way?  

NIALL 
Well, I agree that you’re a woman, and I don’t think my being here, regardless of, you know . . .  whatever equipment – no, that’s dumb, um, / . . . 

JENNA 
You don’t think dating me makes you gay. 

NIALL 
Right. Exactly . . . Having said that, though, I – and this is probably a fault of my own – can’t really imagine, you know, any kind of . . . sexual activity I could pleasurably take part in / that would involve 

JENNA 
That is so basic, Niall. 

NIALL
It’s true, though!  

JENNA 
I hate when guys say that.  

NIALL 
I like intercourse . . . between my penis and a vagina, I mean.  

JENNA 
You should speak up. I don’t think they heard you in the kitchen.  

NIALL 
(embarrassed, softer) 
Oh, right. It is how I feel, though.  

JENNA 
Have you even tried anal? On a woman, I mean? It’s similar.  

NIALL 
It’s . . . messy.  

JENNA 
Really? . . . Okay, there’s oral sex. There’s you getting pegged while she wears a / strap on 

NIALL 
Jenna. 

JENNA 
Alright, it sounds like you don’t want to / do that 

NIALL 
I don’t think having . . . a boundary around something like that is – that’s okay, isn’t it? 

JENNA 
It’s hurtful. A lot of trans women will never be able to afford surgery.  

NIALL 
I understand that.  

JENNA 
And you don’t care? You’re just / like, “I only want

NIALL 
I do care. I’ve donated to people’s GoFundMes. I  think insurance should / cover  

JENNA 
So you asked me out just to roll the dice, and see / what I might have down there 

NIALL 
No . . . I enjoyed meeting you, and thought you were  attractive. 

JENNA 
But if I did have a / penis 

NIALL 
Arrgh . . . can’t you just tell me? 

JENNA 
Oh my god.  

NIALL 
Sorry. I / shouldn’t have said  

JENNA 
I had my surgery, Niall. Are you happy? 

NIALL 
Um, I mean . . . sort of, or – I meant, I’m happy for you, because I’m / sure you  

JENNA 
Yes, I can tell my potential dysphoria was on the top of / your mind 

NIALL 
Do you hate / me  

JENNA 
No . . . your social ineptitude is kind of / charming 

NIALL 
Really? You don’t think I’m unbearably dumb? 

JENNA 
No.  

NIALL
Oh, wow. I thought from the moment I brought up 
J.K. Rowling, you’d been looking at me with contempt. 

JENNA 
Nope . . . good to know that’s the vibe I give off, 
though, / I guess 

NIALL 
Wow, so you’re enjoying our date? Oops, that sounded 
really / desperate 

JENNA 
That was a shockingly direct / question 

NIALL 
Right. Sorry. Maybe we should look at / our menus 

JENNA 
I’ve had worse . . . dates, I mean. 

NIALL 
Really? Oh, so . . . that’s good / then, right 

JENNA 
I still think your “preferences” indicate a lack of 
imagination, on your part. 

NIALL 
Oh, um . . .  

JENNA 
I guess as a cis male, that’s not your / fault, though 

NIALL 
Maybe you . . . could try the “pegging” thing you 
mentioned – I mean, if / you want 

JENNA 
Oh, wow. 

NIALL 
I just thought that, since / you brought it up 

JENNA 
Right. Let’s see where the evening takes us. 

Both lift their menus, smiling.
_________________________________________________

    Dana Hall is a Chicago-based actor, writer, and director.  As a playwright, her work has been featured at Inkwell Theatre (Ca), Drawing Cats Theatre (NYC), Palos Village Players (Chicago), Equity Theatre (NYC), Triangle Rainbow Theatre & Riante Theatre (NYC), The New Deal Creative Arts Center (NY), Rogue Theatre Festival (NYC), and WTFringe Festival 2021, to name a few. She co-foundered  This Moment Productions, during the pandemic, with the goal to make the arts more inclusive and equitable. She has always been captivated by the power of storytelling and is excited to be a part of this event. Unprovoked is based on collaboration of real-life narratives Dana has encountered as a trauma therapist. Website: DanaLHall.com Instagram: @GoAskYourTherapist

Unprovoked 

By Dana Hall
Synopsis: A high school student gets into a physical altercation with another student. It is revealed there is much more under the surface when Isaiah finds himself trapped between impossible choices. This play represents the statistics indicating LGBTQ youth are not receiving the support, acceptance, and advocacy needed to ensure their health and wellness. It is in response to the death record reports of LGBTQ youth who died by suicide that indicate a history of bullying more than five times more often when compared to records of non-LGBTQ youth. 

MS.KISINSKI: Open Casting 
ISAIAH: Teen/high school/ gay 
GRANDMOTHER: Isaiah’s grandmother 50+/religious/ strict Narrator (May help keep the audience on track but not necessary)

Inside a counselor’s office in a high school. 

MS. KISINSKI: You know why you’re here don’t you?

ISAIAH: No. 

MS. KISINSKI: Come on. 

ISAIAH shrugs. 

MS. KISINSKI: Isaiah - I can’t help you if you don’t/ 

ISAIAH: I don’t need help. 

MS. KISINSKI: Really? You punched Chris Mitchel in the nose. 

ISAIAH: Well, then it’s Chris’s nose that needs the help. 

MS. KISINSKI: Do you know why you’re here in the counseling office and not in the dean’s office? 

ISAIAH: Cuz you’re bored? 

MS. KISINSKI: Well the paperwork does suck but no. 

ISAIAH: So what happens now you like call home what? 

MS. KISINSKI: I’d like to know what happened first. 

ISAIAH: Ask Chris then. 

MS. KISINSKI: Funny thing when someone’s face is gushing with blood they really aren’t into having much conversation other than telling us you hit him unprovoked. 

ISAIAH: (angry) Unprovoked - that’s what he said?!… (calming himself) That’s cool- whatever. 

MS. KISINSKI: Isaiah I’ve known you since Freshman year- science club, baseball, you write for the yearbook- not one time have I seen you step out of line. What happened today? 

ISAIAH: Today? Whatever - So I’m staying up at my grandma’s
house not my dad’s now- but she’s probably working so if you gotta call someone you can call my auntie. 

MS. KISINSKI: Isaiah/ (it’s not that easy) 

ISAIAH: Am I expelled or what? No disrespect but I don’t want to talk so just call Dean Babbit or whatever so I can get this over. 

MS. KISINSKI: This isn’t over Isaiah; You broke his nose. 

 ISAIAH: (under his breath) Not bad for a faggot. 

MS. KISINSKI: What? Is that what he called you? 

ISAIAH: Don’t get your ‘counselor spidey senses’ all worked up Ms. K- it’s over. 

MS. KISINSKI:If he’s been bullying you or/ 

ISAIAH: I can take care of myself, no one’s bullying me- just a misunderstanding… 

MS. KISINSKI: You punched him over a misunderstanding? 

ISAIAH: Sure 

MS. KISINSKI: (not believing him) Go on. What was it then/ 

ISAIAH: It’s simple- he misunderstood me for someone who’s going to take his shit… 

MS. KISINSKI: Isaiah 

ISAIAH: (apologizes) sorry language. 

MS. KISINSKI: - This is not like you. 

ISAIAH: Maybe it is now. 

MS. KISINSKI: Fighting isn’t the answer you can’t go through life punching faces/ 
ISAIAH shrugs.

MS. KISINSKI: I’m going to have to call your Dad or grandma - it has be a guardian. Let’s see who’s in the system for you. You know- (checks computer to see if she has his grandma’s number)- the school is going to have to file an incident report. 

ISAIAH: So/ 

MS. KISINSKI: /and Chris’s parents might press charges. This is really serious Isaiah. (Stops looking for contact information and turns to ISAIAH) You’ve got to tell me- Was he bullying you? 

ISAIAH shrugs. 

MS. KISINSKI: If I knew the whole story maybe I could help/ 

ISAIAH: You want a story Ms. K? Fine. (uncomfortable) Do you want to know about the baseball team? Coach says two to a seat on the bus, no one wants to sit with me, they yell ‘no homo’ as they walk past me. Whoever says it last is the loser and has to sit with me. I try to ignore it. I tell myself -just work harder they’ll respect you.’ 

MS. KISINSI: I’m sorry, I/ (didn’t know things were that bad) 

ISAIAH: It’s not like I’m broadcasting it- instead stupid me is out there stealing bases thinking now they’re going to see me as just some guy on the team. What a joke! You know what they say-. (Mocks the kids) “Of course he’s fast -fairies have wings.” They flap at me in the halls and on the field. I just laugh and take it- what else am I gonna do/ 

MS. KISINSKI: Chris is on the baseball team? 

ISAIAH: Yeah. 

MS. KISINSKI: So this has been going on for years/ 

ISAIAH: I guess. 

MS. KISINSKI: Does anyone ever overhear them? A teacher? Coach? 

ISAIAH: A few times Coach told them to cut it out. Nothing much though. 

MS. KISINSKI:They’ve been harassing you and bullying you because
you’re gay- that’s not acceptable- why didn’t you come to me? 

ISAIAH: To tell on them?- What would you do- give them a stern talking to? Ha/ 

MS. KISINSKI: Write them up, if they continue- expel them/ 

ISAIAH: And what happens to me? I’m not out Mrs. K- I tell you and you what? You call their moms and tell them that the gay kid told on their precious angels? Then what - how do I not get my ass beat? 

MS. KISINSKI: You’re worried about retaliation I get it but we can protect you here/ 

ISAIAH: No offense but no one protected me here and definitely no one’s protecting me at home/ 

MS. KISINSKI:It’s not them you’re afraid of? 

ISAIAH: Whatever- you don’t know what you’re talking about/ 

MS. KISINSKI: If not them then what? Who? 

ISAIAH: Just quit ok. Just write me up or call the cops whatever 

MS. KISINSKI: It’s home. 

ISAIAH shrugs. 

MS. KISINSKI: What happened? 

ISAIAH diverts eye contact. 

MS. KISINSKI: You said you’re at your grandma’s what happened at your dad’s? 

ISAIAH: He saw some things on my phone-- some personal things and uh- put it together and told me to pack a bag. That’s it. Nothing to tell. 

MS. KISINSKI: Does your grandma know? 

ISAIAH: Nah- I mean we watch old Oprah reruns together but no.

MS. KISINSKI: What did your dad tell her? 

ISAIAH: Nothing. I showed up- he works a lot and she lives closer to school so I told her I was gonna finish the year over by her. She doesn’t care - I’m fine on the couch. 

MS. KISINSKI: (checking computer) Ok… well, I’m probably going to have to talk with her. Let’s see... Do we have her contact information in the system… Oh ok there it is... (opens an email) Oh no. 

ISAIAH: What? 

MS. KISINSKI: Hold on a second. (picks up office phone and makes a call). Hey, it’s Mrs. Kisinski did you put the report in the system already?... I told you I wanted to speak with the other student first… Uhh huh.. I get it- but I think we need to be careful about how it’s worded…. Uhhuh yeah, I know what your job is but you can’t just (whispers) ‘out kids.’... No, it’s not part of the consequences- listen I’m still with a student. I’ll stop by your office afterward. yeah-Bye. 

ISAIAH: Was that about me? 

MS. KISINSKI: Dean Babbit interviewed a few students that were in the vicinity of the altercation. 

ISAIAH: I jacked him and people saw -so. 

MS. KISINSKI: Yeah- one of those people was a student that said they heard what he called you. 

ISAIAH: No! Babbler Mouth Babbit put that in the fucking report!? 

MS. KISINSKI: Hey- (at language) Yeah- he did. 

ISAIAH: Why! It was ‘unprovoked’ remember? Even Chris said! 

MS. KISINSKI: But it wasn’t- I’m not condoning it but I understand why it happened. Now that it’s out there maybe it’s time we consider telling Grandma first before she gets this report.

ISAIAH: (restless) Nah. I’m good. I gotta get outta here. Thanks for your help. 

MS. KISINSKI: I can help you. (thinking of what she can do) I can break the ice. We can do it here; you don’t have to do it at home. 

ISAIAH: (Anxious) Nooooo. That can’t happen. Listen my grandmother found something of mine...a poem and I lied I said it wasn’t mine/ 

MS. KISINSKI: Ok. I’m sure she isn’t going to remember one little lie. 

ISAIAH: No you don’t get it. She saw it was -to someone...John. 

MS. KISINSKI: Oh. What happened? 

ISAIAH: She threatened me- said Jesus was watching and if I had been sinning he’d strike me down with cancer and started to pray 

MS. KISINSKI: Wow. I assumed people were more/ 

ISAIAH: (Mocking) Open? Accepting? Yeah- maybe when it’s not their own kid or in front of others/ 

MS. KISINSKI: So you lied? 

ISAIAH: Hell yeah-I got scared. I told her it belonged to the girl below us in the apartment complex. She called her a hussy and banned me from hanging out with her -I had to beg her not to call her mom. 

MS. KISINSKI: I get it but maybe we can get in front of this before she finds out some other way. I can explain things, we can tell her together/ 

Isaiah: There’s nothing to tell! (starting to cry) Why can’t you all just leave it alone? I just need to make it through this year. I’m so stupid why did I hit him! So dumb. Now my life is ruined because one stupid mistake, I should’nt have let them get to me- I gotta get out of here - Is this door locked/

MS. KISINSKI: Where are you going to go?/ 

ISAIAH: /anywhere. 

MS. KISINSKI: Do you have someplace to go- someplace ‘safe.’

ISAIAH: No. 

MS. KISINSKI: Once we explain things to her maybe there’s a chance she won’t react too badly, she might just need a little time to process things. I can tell her about the GSA on campus/ 

ISAIAH: Don’t! Don’t call her Mrs. K. Please. You can’t 

MS. KISINSKI: Wouldn’t you want her to know the real you? This could be your chance. 

ISAIAH: The real me? My whole life I’ve been pretending to be someone else- When I was in middle school I liked this boy Charlie and I thought he liked me but he didn’t or couldn’t or whatever. I prayed I could just be born normal like everyone else that I didn’t have to be like this! When Charlie told other kids I lied and said I was Bi and took a girl to formal. You have no idea how many times over the years I wanted to die not kill myself- but not wake up either. 

MS. KISINSKI: I had no idea. You’ve never even missed a single day of school. 

ISAIAH: As bad as it can be here it’s all I have. I want to get out of this town- move somewhere bigger. Not feel so ‘other.’ I just need to graduate and get into a good school. 

MS. KISINSKI: (Ushers ISAIAH to sit back down) There’s nothing wrong with who you are Isaiah. I know you’re scared, I know you don’t want to come out, I’m not sure what to do. I can try and talk with Dean Babbit and see if the school can edit out the witness statement -no guarantees- but let me see if it’s possible- that might buy you some time. Sit tight- ok? 

ISAIAH nods in agreement. MS. KISINSKI grabs a notebook and leaves. ISAIAH waits for her to leave then grabs his bag. 

ISAIAH: (as he leaves) Sorry Ms. K, I gotta go- I can’t take that chance.

-END-

_________________________________________________

     I hope you enjoyed this article! Come back next month for more thought-provoking works!
_________________________________________________





Comments