Featured Writer of November Q & A

 Featured Writer of November Q & A

   Congratulations to Sarah Congress, our featured writer of November! As a follow-up to her ten-minute comedic play, COVID-19 Bachelor Number Five, I've asked Sarah a few questions about her writing journey. 

Question 1:
   How long have you been writing plays?

Sarah:
   I have been writing plays since my junior year of High School...so for over a decade now! 

Question 2:
   On what topic do you most like to write plays?

Sarah:
   I like to write plays that have heart. I aim to see different characters from different backgrounds learning something from each other. I try not to “judge” my characters; but to let each voice be its own unique voice. I definitely draw from my meditation practice and love of Buddhist teachings. 
Humor seems to come along for the ride - though it’s never quite deliberate per say; I just think that life in general is funny :) Therefore my plays end up with some funny...

Question 3:
   Do you mostly write plays or do you also write other things? 

Sarah: 
   I also write musical books and I write television scripts. Most notably I wrote a spec for the TV show The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel entitled "Shabbat Blessings for the Baguette." It was a really fun exercise that ultimately resulted in a couple agent meetings for me.

   I am currently working on a commission/a musical book for a student at Cal State LA and on my original television pilot "Wild Child" which is being mentored by a film editor friend in LA. I am also working on draft two of my full length murder/mystery comedy Ithaca Girls.

Question 4:
   Why do you enjoy writing plays?

Sarah: 
   I write plays because writing is excavation. I love digging around in each draft searching for stories.

Question 5:
   Do you have any advice for playwrights?

Sarah: 
   My advice for writers? WRITE WRITE WRITE! Try to get into a daily habit of writing. My routine is typically 10 minutes of yoga to 10 minutes of meditation to an hour of writing :) Then in the PM I do the edits. 

   Thanks, Sarah, for taking the time to answer my questions! 

Comments